WHAT SIZE FOR AN OFFICE?09 September 2021
To create a workspace, several questions arise: who is the office intended for? And for what use? How often will it be used ?
To choose a desk with the right dimensions, there are a few tips to know to optimize this room and this corner in order to make it as practical, ergonomic and aesthetic..
Once you have clearly defined the purpose of this office, we can get down to the technical details and determine the size of the office, its location and other details that are important..
CHOICE OF LOCATION
The ideal remains a room dedicated to the use of an office. If this is not possible, create a specific corner for yourself, a demarcated area for this use: in the living room, in the hall, in a guest room, on the landing, under the stairs. It is interesting to delimit this location with a curtain or a screen, to hide it or create a cocoon. It is also essential to feel comfortable in the chosen location, it makes the whole thing more enjoyable. For that, discover some feng shui tips to create an office in good standing by clicking here.
WHAT TYPE OF OFFICE WOULD YOU LIKE TO BUILD ?
There is not just one office, it must adapt to your needs. Depending on the use of your office, this piece of furniture will be different. If you sit for several hours every day, you need a fixed desk, if it's a spare desk for a few hours here and there, a console desk is enough. If your room allows it or if you have several screens, we can also imagine a corner desk.
WHAT LENGTH AND WIDTH FOR YOUR OFFICE ?
Some rules governed by office manufacturers :
- A professional desk typically measures 120cm by 80cm
- A tray width is between 55 and 80 cm
- A tray length is between 80 and 170 cm
You understand, there is no ultimate dimension to respect, it is to adapt according to your needs: how many screens do you have? How tall are you ? What space is available? etc.
First, ake the time to measure the available floor space. This will include the desk + the maneuvering area for your seat and storage space, if you wish. To take the chair into account, add 50 cm at the back and about 1m if you are back to the wall . This measurement will help you define the possible width for the table top..
WIDTH OF AN OFFICE
The larger the width, the more pleasant it is because you have the necessary distance to shift your screens as needed or you create small storage areas: paperwork, pencil holder, etc. At a minimum, we recommend that you '' have a desk 60 cm wide to favor the position of your arms when using this space.
Then it's up to you to adapt :
- You have tablet-type tools or a large screen: 75/80 cm will be nice
- You mainly perform administrative tasks or have a small computer: 60 cm may be sufficient
- A desk with storage: 80 cm are appreciable for placing a storage box under the top, so the top will be deep enough to cover the box. Ditto for adding a lamp etc.
LENGTH OF AN OFFICE
As indicated above, the length of a professional desk is generally 120 cm.
What use you will make of this desk and what is on it will define the ideal width: 2 screens or 1 only? A printer on the desk? Storage for documents ?
What we advise you :
- A desk of 1m and 1m20 is sufficient for less regular use and without bulky objects placed on it
- An office between 1.20m and 1.50m is nice for a partial use office
- A desk between 1m50 and 1m70 allows you to be really comfortable for daily use for several hours.
- Below 1m, it will be a spare desk that looks like a console
Through these 12 offices, discover some ideas for office inspiration.
AND FOR CHILDREN'S AND TEEN'S OFFICES THEN ?
A desk for children or teenagers is often present in a playroom or bedroom. This office didn't have to be so big.
80 cm by 50 cm is more than enough for a child. For a teenager, we can go up to 1.20m.
WHAT FOOT FOR YOUR OFFICE ?
It exists several feet suitable for creating a desk.
Some models are more suitable for certain projects than others :
- For a large independent office, we recommend the so-called "industrial" legs. : flat iron, trapezoid, hourglass, A, etc.
- For small corner desks, go on so-called "aerial" feet like reinforced pins feet, conical orsquares.
- The thin flat iron feet are only suitable for a spare desk due to their profile.
- The double reinforced desk leg is designed specifically for offices, its shape hugs the wall for a very graphic appearance.
- Without forgetting, of course, all our tailor-made models to go beyond the constraints encountered
WHAT STYLE FOR AN OFFICE IN ITS INTERIOR ?
The color of the desk and legs will define the mood and style of this room. Starting on industrial feet, we are on an industrial loft-style interior. For airy feet and depending on the combination of the chosen top, we can imagine a minimalist, Scandinavian or bohemian style.
The office is a strong element, but it is not everything. From the decorative objects : posters, object, rugs, ... this is what will definitively define the intention of the room. You can also make a 100% homemade desk, like here with a box office created in part with cement tiles.
Some rules exist and they are to be adapted to your needs, your habits and the available space.
ÉCRIRE UN COMMENTAIRE